First Registration of Land
All land and property ownership are subject to a registration system in England and Wales.
There are many benefits to registering your land and our friendly and efficient commercial property team will be happy to investigate whether your property is registered, and if not, assist in the application to do so.
The benefits of land registration include:
- Security – if you remain unregistered, you will need to ensure your deeds are kept safe so that you can prove your title.
- Title guarantee – a class of title guaranteed by the government
- Fraud prevention – you can choose to be notified if someone tried to fraudulently register a mortgage against or transfer your property
- Title Plan – providing clarity on boundaries
- Deeds storage – you can request title deeds and documents from the Land Registry easily at minimum cost
- Reduced Land Registry fee – a discounted fee for voluntary first registration applications
When registered, the Land Registry maintains a record of ownership changes, overages, mortgages, easements, and leases on your property.
Any unregistered property must be registered in the following circumstances:
- Purchase of property
- Property transfer through gift or inheritance
- Property exchange
- Leasehold property transfer
- On the grant of a new leasehold
- Creation of a first legal mortgage
Our experienced team will deal with any compulsory registrations that are a part of a matter that they are already instructed to act upon. They are also happy to explain the benefits of voluntarily registering your land and assist in making an application.
You may also be interested in…
Our specialist Banking and Finance team bring together expertise from acting for both lender and borrower clients involved in a wide range of transactions. Now and then, most businesses need an injection of capital.
Commercial Property Testimonials
I just wanted to let you know how impressed my wife and I have been with Emily’s work on our recent purchase of some garden land. I have acted as a chartered surveyor and arbitrator in commercial property for over 40 years and was highly impressed by her great ability, impeccable communication and proactive approach at all times. She is a credit to your firm and I will always ask her to handle our property matters going forward.
Mr Router, BSc(Hons) DipArb FRICS FCIArb.
Prompt and professional service. Always on contactable to cover all technical queries. Howard’s thorough approach made the process comfortable and put our minds at rest to concentrate on running our business. Would definitely recommend
We have been working with Howard Bailey for 3+ years. He is outstanding. Great listener. A real asset to our business together with his team of associates so much so that we feel he is a member of our team.
Legal 500, 2022