Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse or violence is unfortunately very common in our society and takes place in many forms, including verbal abuse, physical assault, emotional manipulation or financial control and the effects can be complex and harrowing.

If you have been physically hurt always call the police by dialling 999 or go to the Accident and Emergency department at your nearest hospital. Reporting the incident and having photographic images of your injuries will make giving evidence easier.

As specialists in domestic violence law, our solicitors can support and offer guidance to victims of domestic abuse and their children to get the protection they need from their partners or family members.

What Is Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence, or abuse. Domestic violence happens between people who have been partners or family members at some point in time. The abuse can be psychological, physical, sexual, financial, or emotional. Some signs of domestic violence include:

  • Threats: shouting at someone, intimidating them, breaking things in front of them
  • Harassment: following or watching someone, embarrassing someone in public, reading their messages or emails
  • Verbal Abuse – calling someone names, accusing or belittling them
  • Sexual Abuse – using force or degrading someone intimately
  • Physical Violence – hitting, punching or pinching someone
  • Isolating – persuading someone not to see family or friends
  • Pressuring – threatening to take children away, withdraw financial support, or harm themselves.

Children can often find themselves a victim. They can become caught in the conflict and suffer from injury. Very frequently, children suffer from emotional harm due to their worry and fear about what is happening in their home. There is evidence that children living in homes where violence takes place are at greater risk of mental health problems such as anxiety and depression.

What Protection Can I Get From Domestic Abuse?

There are two types of court orders that can provide protection from domestic abuse. Our friendly and highly experienced domestic abuse solicitors can advise you on which would give you the best protection for your situation.

Non-Molestation Order

This order restrains someone from being violent, threatening violence or molesting a person. This also extends to someone encouraging another person to use or threaten violence against them.

If the order is breached, this is a criminal offence, and the person can be arrested.

Occupation Order

This order details who can live in the family home. The specifics of the terms of the order can vary substantially depending on the situation. For example, the order can prevent a person from entering a home, prevent them from going into certain areas of the home, or prevent them from coming within a certain distance of the property.

The court will look at the unique details of the case and make orders to provide appropriate protection. For example, this could include transferring the tenancy of a property into someone’s name or requiring the partner to make specific payments to allow the person to be able to continue to afford to live in the home.

Our supportive and highly experienced domestic abuse solicitors will be on hand throughout the whole process, guiding you throughout. They pride themselves on ensuring the best outcome and protection for both the victim and their loved ones.

    Get In Touch