Agricultural Licences & Agreements

There are many types of agricultural licence, for example, grazing licences or cropping licences. These are generally short term agreements, usually for only part of a year. It is important that these are drafted properly to prevent the Licensee from acquiring rights to the property akin to those of a tenant under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. It is also important to set out what specific rights the Licensee has, what remains the responsibility of the landlord (for example boundary maintenance) and who is entitled to any benefits (such as the payments under the Basic Payment Scheme).

Agricultural licences and agreements generally should involve entering into a formal written agreement. Our friendly and highly regarded agriculture and estates team can advise on these agreements or prepare them for you. We pride ourselves on providing personal and pragmatic advice on this niche and complex area of law and ensuring the best outcome for our clients. Acting for both tenants and landlords, we ensure risks are minimised and disputes are avoided.

Whatever the licence or agreement, our team can advise you on the benefits and drawbacks and guide you throughout the process.


Our specialist Banking and Finance team bring together expertise from acting for both lender and borrower clients involved in a wide range of transactions. Now and then, most businesses need an injection of capital.

    Get In Touch